Building a Laundry Mudroom for $3700 - Appliances Included


It's so eye-opening to add up the costs of what I've spent on my house. I honestly didn't think the changes I wanted to make to this house would cost as much as they have - particularly since I was going to do the work myself! This week I went back and added up everything I spent on my laundry and mudroom, the total tally was $3664.64 and includes everything I put in the space.   Seriously?!  W-O-W!   Oh and I already owned quite a few of the items I put in the space, but I've included everything in my tally.

Going back to moving day, all I had in the mudroom was hookups for the washer and dryer.  The previous owners had taken the appliances with them...



I splurged on a front-loader and matching LG dryer because they were on sale and I had a friend who could pick them up and drop them off at my house so I saved on the $100 delivery cost.  Here is the way the room looked after the washer and dryer arrived:


That's a single pane window over the washer and dryer.  I had a double pane slider installed by a contractor - that set me back $617!  Yikes.  That one cost is what set me on my DIY journey.  His labour cost to do the work was $250 and he only spent 3 hours on the job... nice work if you can get it!!

Here is the window installed and trimmed out.

 

Then I installed a curtain rod that I found in the garden shed and I added clips and made a curtain out of a twin sheet I found in a clearance bin for $1.94.  In the second photo, you can see the cabinet I bought to house my laundry tub. At this stage it is just being used as a counter.  The counter top is a leftover piece from my kitchen reno.

 Next thing I did was to add a closet organizer that I bought on sale for $60.  It had a tower and rods and fit nicely in a little cubby I had at the back of the room.


I moved the sink cabinet and put a hat rack over the top. I had planned to keep it in this position and install the sink there but when I got a better understanding of the cost of installing plumbing lines, I swapped out the closet organizer and the sink.   I also decided I was going to stack the washer and dryer so that I could have a counter in front of my window.  Here's what the space looked like after I moved things around.

 

I liked this idea because the stacked washer and dryer would hide the hanging coats/laundry from view.  The sink was placed up against the bathroom wall to share the plumbing lines and save me a lot of money.  I love my laundry tub!  It's the Ikea Numerar sink and I had bought it for my other house but it was never installed.  I finally could use it!!!


So motoring right along, after much pain and suffering I renovated my bathroom and the plumbing was hooked up.   My washer and dryer were stacked and I had moved the dryer vent with the help of a friend.  I tried to do it myself, but after I whacked myself in the mouth with the hole saw - basically a ginormous 4" bit on a drill (an industrial model I borrowed from work) - I realized I didn't have the strength to hold the drill steady as it went through the wall to the outside...  Thank God for good friends!

Here is what it looked like after the appliances were stacked.  I used a wrought iron hook rack as an open broom closet.  Everything is neatly tucked away in the little cubby and the ironing board can even be hung on it!   I hung some doors on the closet organizer tower to clean up the space a bit.  The doors came from a beat up pantry cabinet that had been left with the house.  The cabinet was in rough shape, but the doors were just fine!  A piece of wood trim hides the gap between the doors - they were just a bit too small.


For a folding counter, I used an old potting bench of mine:


I hung seed catalog covers on the dryer to liven up the space a bit.  It's so fresh and pretty now!

As this space was coming together, I became very dissatisfied with how dark the room was.  If only there was a window over the laundry tub...  But of course!  Why hadn't I thought of that before now?!  Silly me, I hadn't thought of it because I had the cost of the other window in the back of my mind the whole time.  If it cost that much to install a replacement window, what the heck would it cost to put in a window where none existed before??

Well, cue my bathroom reno.  During the tear-down phase, I had discovered that a window had once existed in that room.  With everything torn down, it was simple to buy a standard sized window, carve a hole through the wall and use the existing framing to plug the new window into.  I had to install all new wall covering anyway, so why not have the window I wanted?   So now I had some experience to bolster my confidence at installing a window over the laundry tub.  OMG I  had no idea how much work would actually be involved...  Good thing!

So I planned for this job to take 2 days of my vacation.  It actually took 5 days.  The problem was that half the wall was inaccessible due to the cabinetry.  If I had done this work before installing the sink, it would have taken me the two days I projected.  I learned so much doing this!

Here is the before & after of that wall:

I am SO GLAD I did this!!  It has made an enormous difference and I get so much solar gain in the winter months that the whole room is heated by the sun.  Here is the window with the shutters I built:

 


So there you have it, a laundry and mudroom completed for the total cost of $3700 including appliances and the laundry tub and faucet.  If I hadn't paid that contractor, the cost would have been only $3200.  Live and learn as they say!

I hope I've inspired you to take on your own renovations from scratch.  Once you get going, they really save you a lot of money.  That first window cost me $617 - and it was just a replacement window!  The new window I installed by myself cost me $300 total and that included the panelling, insulation, window, trim, caulking and paint.

If you're interested in more details, click on the links below:

$10 DIY Shutters
Install Your Own Window
Laundry Storage Solutions Part I
Laundry Storage Solutions Part II

UPDATE:  A small, inexpensive update to this space made a HUGE difference, pop over and check it out - click on the photo!



Happy renovating!



With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!

Remodeling and Home Design

Follow on Bloglovin
Sharing with:
Inspiration Monday
Give me the Goods   Mod Mix Monday
Favorite Things 2013
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday     Fabulously Creative Friday
Junkin Joes
Party Junk   Super Saturday Party
It's Party Time

32 comments:

  1. Anne
    I've always thought your laundry room was so bright and pretty.
    I didn't realise all the work and money it has taken you to get
    the end result. You have my admiration, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it!!!! I wish I had 1/10th of your DIY ability!! You're room and home are fabulous!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Susan! My DIY ability has certainly grown since I moved into this house!!

      Thank you for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Love it Anne! Looks beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a true diy'er! Your laundry room looks, and I'm sure functions, great Anne. Having the Reno contracted out would have cost so much more. Wishing you all the best in the upcoming New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I can say that it was money well spent! Your space looks fabulous and is definitely an inspiration. I don't know if I mentioned that I am in the process of redoing my bathroom. As it is a slow go (I'm gathering materials as I find them - first), I got sidetracked today by my laundry room. I called myself just cleaning it out, but after I did and finally put in this piece of furniture I got at a yard sale, I realized that it's time to really do something with the space. Your space looks similar to mine and many of the things you shared in this post, were some ideas in my mind. I'm going to continue browsing Pinterest and other sites to find my true look. Thanks for always sharing the lovelies of your home. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. For Christmas Brawn & I gave oldest daughter a laundry room makeover, which does not include big ticket items - appliances, flooring & sink. So we will see what we can repurpose and decorate with for $200. I think she needs window shutters like yours......

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your laundry room Anne and I know you must feel so proud that you did the majority of it yourself, I know I feel proud when I DIY something in my home! I think my favorite part though is that you used so many things that you found here and there... the closet doors left behind by previous owners, the curtain rod you found in the shed, the thrift store sheet for a curtain... you are a girl after my own heart!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  8. another beautiful makeover:) LOVE the shutters!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love what you did with your laundry room. I'm amazed by the work you've done there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was really enlightening to read of how the laundry and mudroom developed over time, Anne. You really did a lot of work--I don't have the DIY skills that you do, but I am inspired by reading your post to learn more and get better at it as I can. Your rooms looks so beautiful now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the way this has changed over time.The window sounds a big job for you to do. I like the way you have hidden the coats. It looks such a bright cheerful room now! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! It is much more cheerful now - that window was the best decision of all!

      Delete
  12. Everything looks gorgeous! Tackling the laundry room is one my list for next year. You've inspired me!
    Leslie
    House on the Way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Leslie! I can't wait to see what you do with yours!!

      Delete
  13. Fabulous remodel. It's amazing how quickly the total can add up, but the amount you saved so much of it yourself must put a smile on your face :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know I love it! I'm still trying to decide whether or not to unstack my washer and dryer in my new laundry room. (I've got plenty of time to make that decision, but I seem to be stuck on it!) It all looks lovely Anne and you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Having that window must make such a difference. Your laundry room is so charming!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the window and the extra touches and storage. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow. It came out really nice. You did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I so remember long ago admiring that great sink in your laundry room…you have done such a great job on those two rooms…well, the entire house for that matter…I so love reading about your projects…you amaze me with everything you do!…I wish you a most wonderful, happy and healthy New Year Anne!...

    ReplyDelete
  19. It came out great, Anne! It does seem that most projects take twice as long as expected and sometimes twice as much.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful reno Anne!! I love the addition of the window, you did an amazing job. Wishing you a wonderful & blessed New Year friend - xo, Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tanya! I wish you the same!

      Delete
  21. Fabulous, Anne. Aren't you so glad you stacked the washer and dryer? We did that in our last home and it gave us so much more room to work with. You've created not only a very pretty space, but extremely functional, too. Well done! Can't wait to see what you come up with in 2014. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! Yes, I am thrilled by the amount of space I gained when I stack the w&d. Happy 2014!!!

      Delete
  22. Your laundry room is amazing Anne! You did a great job on a budget! It's so beautifully organized too! Happy New Year!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  23. Being a DIY-er has certainly paid off. YOur laundry room is one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Adorable! I know that had to be so much work but you sure did it well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks great :) I hope you had a great Christmas holiday dear.

    Check out my new post...Cute curtain inspiration :)

    Have a fab day

    LOVE Maria at inredningsvis - Swedish decor, food, and fashion

    ReplyDelete
  26. I adore this room and the color palette! You are a decorating wizard!!!! hugs...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...