How My Garden Grows & a New Fence!

How can it be possible for a fence to make me so deliriously happy??  I have a private spot in my back yard now.


There was a fence here.  It was a lattice fence that kept the deer out but the sizeable side yard was in plain view of the street.  A 6 foot fence runs between my yard and the neighbour next door and this lattice fence is 24 feet from property line to house.  It wasn't terribly expensive to buy fence boards to create a stockade fence by simply attaching the boards to the outside of the existing structure.



This fence was serviceable but not very private.  Plus the white plastic lattice wasn't installed properly and looked a little slap-happy.


Only 46 fence boards and I have a private area in my back yard.  I'm sooo happy!!   I've planted a lilac in the corner to soften the fence a bit.  My biggest struggle is trying to get anything to grow well under this ginormous spruce tree...



I added crosspieces to the tops of the posts for an extra nailing edge and went to work adding the boards across the street side of the fence.  It took me about an hour to do this from start to finish.

Here it is from the front again




                         BEFORE                                                                                     AFTER


YAY!!!!!!!!!!

How do you like my old door gate?  I put that in right before I added the fence boards.  I love love love it!!



Here are a few of the plants blooming in my garden today.

My irises which came from my mom's garden in Ontario.  She shipped them to me in a box wrapped in damp paper towels in a freezer bag.  It worked so well!


The two fences look quite similar.  Once the pressure treated boards weather a bit, I don't think I'll see much difference at all!


A patch of garden with bugleweed, alliums, poppies and pansies in bloom.


Silverleaf dogwood does well in the shade of my second spruce tree, so does the lamium and bugleweed.  The bleeding heart struggles a bit here.



I've put in a ton of pansies so that Mr. Max can graze and I still have tons of flowers.


His lordship and I are very contented in our new private garden space!

Happy gardening!


With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!

Remodeling and Home Design

Follow on Bloglovin
Sharing with:
Wow Us Wednesdays     Under $100
Summer Celebration Party
Garden Party
Salvaged Summer Decorating

29 comments:

  1. Oh Anne that is lovely and now that I have moved into town, I understand exactly how a privacy fence can make a girl happy! Need one of my own soon! LOL! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you know that we are getting ready to replace our fence?
    Your post was timely, Anne.
    You do have a beautiful flower garden. to line your fence!
    Iris is one of my very favorite flowers too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new fence looks wonderful, Anne, and your flowers are lovely. Enjoy your privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be deliriously happy with that new-found privacy too! So much simpler & faster & cheaper to hammer on boards over what was already there than building a new fence - great thinking! I hope you and Max are enjoying the privacy and the pansies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your backyard looks lovely and Mr Max is adorable!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Di!! :) Thank you so much! He is a cute little guy isn't he?

      Delete
  6. Gotta love a tall privacy fence! :) I wish we had that instead of the hodge podge of different heights of fencing that we have. Is that an old door you're using for a garden gate? If so, very clever re-purpose. I can see it painted a fun colour now that you have the fence the same height.
    Max looks very content in his backyard oasis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another good job Anne ... great background for your flowers.
    Enjoy the privacy.
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow your fence looks amazing and your garden and lordship look gorgeous! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sarah! It's so much more enjoyable in my garden now! xox

      Delete
  9. I love all your flowers and your newly private vista.
    Stay out of there, Maxie!
    I have wedelia planted around all my larger trees and Bruce/Sophie/Henry love laying in it. It's always lumpy looking but it springs back up by the next day. It's only good until a freeze, which means I have it 9-10 months of the year. I am picturing Max making a hideout for neighbor stalking. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So little money and effort, and such a HUGE difference in the appearance of your yard! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the new fence and the bordering flower beds. Love the privacy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a difference a few boards make! I love the fact that you have left the original lattice. I suppose it was the easiest option just to cover it but now it ties in with the adjoining fence and lattice. Well done! The lattice creates interest and a frame work for climbing plants and the solid fence protects your garden. A win win for you and your garden. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! The lattice is perfect for the plants on the garden side and it breaks up the expanse of boards. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  13. Your kitty is enjoying himself. You did a great job on the fence! Everything in the garden is nice and green.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love how you think, Anne. You took what many (okay, I'll say it) "guys" would turn into a long drawn out project and solved you privacy fence issue with 46 pieces of wood. It looks awesome! And am I hearing you say that cats like pansies???

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yea! Great Job Anne! I need to build a fence this summer. I wish summer lasted 1/2 the year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done, Anne. what a difference that makes. I like your plants too. It's always difficult to find plants that will grow under conifers. they almost seem to poison the ground!! The trellis could be handy for climbing plants as well. Thanks for visiting me and your encouragement over these last months. Joan

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE !!!
    I agree with Joan - climbers would be perfect for the trellis
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  18. i so want some privacy fence! this is a huge difference, enjoy it. and what an adorable kitty and lush garden!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with Joan and Suzan some climbers would be gorgeous or even ivy.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want to come and steal that white door.....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your iris Anne...you did a wonderful job with the fence. So neat how your mother sent you the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I totally get it...i'm funny that way too about what makes me giddy! love all your landscape and that you have that trellis to tie your plants up so they won't fall! Thank you so much for sharing your post at this weeks Garden Party over here at Fishtail Cottage's! oxox

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your garden and new fence are lovely, and so is Max! It is amazing how a section of fenceline can really transform an outdoor space to make it an outdoor living space. Over the years, I've added little sections of fencing in key spots for privacy around our house, and it made me giddy, too--I totally get it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the transformation the fence gives your yard ... from mismatched to wonderful! We have a similar "stockade" fence across the back that a disgruntled neighbour put up, and although it's like a big wooden wall, it also serves its purpose and is lovely and private. Great idea with the door too. You've got some pretty flowers blooming in the garden, and good for your mom to send you the iris (sounds exactly what my mom would've done if I lived far away). I finally was able to get one of my grandmother's iris from my sister, but I have to wait till next summer to see it bloom. Have a great week. Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Does Mr. Max eat the pansies? How funny. One of my dogs love allysum. Your new fence is wonderful and your door as a gate in so unique, I have never seen one used like that. The painting in the "windows" is wonderful. How did you do it?
    Traci

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...