How to Add Castors to Furniture

Here's a project I've wanted done FOREVER! When I moved this vintage writing table into my bedroom, I realized that the drawer trim made it impossible for me to sit at the table with my legs underneath. The drawer was too close to the seat of the chair. I searched around for some ideas on how to lengthen the legs and settled on castors.  I  wanted the same old fashioned castors that were on my antique dresser - but where to find them at a price that was affordable? DW Lawless Hardware of course!

I got these gorgeous vintage look wood castors that were the perfect addition to this table.  Here's the step-by-step guide to how to add castors to a piece of furniture.



 Here's what you get, wheels with stems and sleeves.  You will need to drill holes in the bottom of the furniture legs to fit the sleeves into.  To find the right sized bit for the job, measure the sleeves using a drill bit gauge.



Then pick a bit that is one size smaller than the size of the stem, in this case, a 3/8 drill bit.


Flip your furniture over and remove any sliders, felt, whatever from the base of the legs.




1 - Drill the hole in the center of the base. Be sure you drill the hole slightly deeper than the sleeve.  The castor wheel stem needs to click through the end of the sleeve to be held in place.

2 - Insert the sleeve into the hole - notice the jagged edge?  Those teeth will bite into the wood and hold the sleeve firmly in place.

3 - Use a hammer and tap the sleeve firmly into the wood

4 - Insert the wheel stem and push it down until it clicks into place.  If you didn't drill deeply enough, get another drill bit that is smaller than the inside of the sleeve (so it can turn easily) and slide it inside the sleeve so you can drill a little deeper.  Then push the wheel in.

Please ignore that I didn't clean the sawdust away before taking this photo...

Now my writing table is at the perfect height and I have retained the vintage look of the piece to boot!




If you'd like a set of these sweet castors for yourself, here's the link:


Happy creating!



Disclaimer:  I have partnered with DW Lawless Hardware to demonstrate some of their products.  Although I received free merchandise in exchange my review, the opinions stated are entirely my own.


With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!
  • Remodeling and Home Design
    Follow on Bloglovin

Sharing With:
Sunday Best    That DIY Party
Inspire Me Monday
Wow Us Wednesdays    Swing Into Spring
Under $100
The Inspiration Gallery     Catch as Catch Can
Shabbilicious Friday
Furniture Friday

42 comments:

  1. Anne,
    This is great. Again you rock with your DIY. Have a great Sunday.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne,

    Thank you, thank you! You just solved my problem with my antique writing-turned-computer-desk. What a clever, but simple remedy.

    Oh, and thank you! Love your style.

    jaime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad!! Thanks for your sweet comment Jaime!

      Delete
  3. That's a great idea and is makes it much move easier to move the furniture too! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. super idea.. I so love that little table....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm so glad to see this post Anne, I've wondered how to do this!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  6. This drill bit gauge is genius! I have never seen this before......geez.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many weird and wonderful tools out there... ;)

      Delete
  7. Great tutorial, Anne! I think I want castors on everything now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne this was a perfect solution. The only thing that always worries me about castors is marking the hardwood floors. Are these safe f or hardwood wear and tear??

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this link. These casters are just what I am looking for. Love your writing desk.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I had a hard time finding ones like these too!!

      Delete
  10. I LOVE what you did, and those castors are incredible - I think not only have you retained the vintage integrity of your piece, but you have actually enhanced it! Beautiful!! And... thanks so much for the tutorial - I have always wondered how to install castors - your step-by-step pics are excellent. Now I totally get it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool Anne....of course you would have a drill bit gauge!!!....Great job and yes, D. Lawless Hardware is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great tutorial! Thanks for sharing. I want to add casters to the dresser I painted, but I first need to get that metal piece out of the legs when I figure out how. lol Pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it, Anne! I have casters on my blue coffee table, but now I want ones that look vintage! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very helpful tutorial! Love your little table and the castors make it look even more charming! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those wheels are beautiful!!! Great idea, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great solution to your desk height problem - easy to do and looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a project coming up that includes adding castors. I think that I could do this one myself after reading your tutorial. Great directions, Anne. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've done this once and I certainly could have used your directions...I don't remember it being this easy! Thanks for sharing this...your desk is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love castors! They've saved the day for a couple of my tables too. The ones you found are beautiful, perfect match to your pretty desk!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, that is actually much easier than I thought it would be!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so glad you posted this… adding casters is such a great way to add impact and interest to a piece… Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great post -- thanks for sharing. We are getting ready to add some to a piece at home so this post was perfectly timed! Pinned. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. That looks great Anne! Thanks for your tutorial too, I've been wanting to add some 'wheels' to a piece of furniture for some time now - better get at it!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great idea! I actually had the apron (is that what its called?) of a table cut out once, so that I could sit under it properly in a chair. Casters would have been easier!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aw shoot - you beat me to it - I have a post scheduled on this LMHO !!!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  26. That`s cute!
    Thank you so much for the comment.
    Yes I hand painted the bricks.
    You can see it in this post here:
    http://pudel-design.blogspot.de/2013/03/i-have-chosen-my-paint-colors-am-i.html

    Took me quite a while;)
    Love & hugs
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit Lydia!

      Delete
  27. I love the idea! I also looked for castors that wouldn't be too modern for on of my kitchen "cabinets" and it wasn't that easy either. Yours are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great idea Anne. I would never have thought of castors to raise the height. BTW, it is such a cute little table.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...