How to Dress Up a Stock Kitchen Cabinet

Back to my ongoing kitchen remodel project! I needed a couple of extra kitchen cabinets and the stock cabinets in my kitchen are now discontinued, so I picked out a white stock cabinet from Home Depot to complete the run of cabinets on the pass-through wall.

Since I can't match the doors, I decided to keep this cabinet open, but after all the uppers were installed on that wall, I wasn't happy with the crappy looking white cabinet - LOL.  Bear in mind that I haven't yet finished painting all my cabinets, so the wood ones will be white when this odyssey is over...




I decided to make the cabinet over to match my pantry cabinet:



So I got a piece of beadboard and painted it in the same style as the shutter doors on the pantry.  I cut it down to fit the back of the cabinet and glued it on with some caulking and a few brad nails to hold it in place.  Then I added screen molding around the edges of the beadboard and 1x2 trim to beef up the outer edges of the cabinet.  I imitated the cabinet door trim by butt joining the 1x2s instead of mitering the joints.



Then I painted the screen molding.


Now the new cabinet edge is flush with the other cabinets and it has a much more custom look.


Here it is again without the 1x2 & screen molding trim.  The shelf was holding the beadboard in place.


Onto the next project!

Cheers!

With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!

Remodeling and Home Design

Follow on Bloglovin

21 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic! It's amazing how adding a little more attention to detail can transform something ordinary into something extraordinary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne, you did a great job in dressing up that cabinet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a wonderful difference Anne! The cabinet does look like its custom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new cabinet is a nice contrast between the two wooden ones.
    I love how you've dressed it with your oils and pastas too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are so clever!!! The cabinet is a perfect compliment to the new ones, looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, Anne. You knew just what that cabinet needed to go from blah to bam! :) It's going to look superb with your soon-to-be white cabinets. xxx ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty cabinet transformation--well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks really nice Anne ... you just know how to give it a professional look.
    Audrey Z @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  9. It fits right into your kitchen style like it's been there all along. I didn't know what a butt joint was named, but I really think it works well with the cottage style. And I would have naturally wnated to put a door on that cabinet, not thinking there was any other option;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The trims inside and out have really made such a difference! You have a good eye for catching the details that make everything work together. Your kitchen makeover is looking really good ... great idea to open up the room to the laundry room window. I would hate to have a dark kitchen. I want to paint my cheapo outdated oak cupboards, so am taking note of your progress :) Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. that looks really, really good. I know the pain, but in the end it will be all worth it

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your kitchen project is certainly coming together.A clever solution Anne. You are going to have extra storage and display now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anne, you are like the "artist" that you are...always creating a masterpiece, whether it is on canvas or some fabulous item you create for your home!!!....the cabinet looks magnificent!...Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You never cease to amaze me with your talent and your style.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job!! Looks wonderful :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE how this looks - and can I say you're remodeling your kitchen singlehandedly quicker than an entire team did mine?
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Guess I need to backtrack and catch up a little here, but your cabinet makeover looks wonderful and I love your pie safe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nicely done Anne, love the beadboard backing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have my wheels turning.

    The cabinet above our fridge is not really useful - I can't reach anything so odd pieces are store there. I like the idea of removing the doors and making it a fun display. Now I just have to convince Steve that it is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My! It looks like it was custom made by a designer! Wait! It was! You're an amazing kitchen designer!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...