Kitchen Overhaul Part II - Part-way done!

I've been working off & on for the last 4 weeks on my kitchen remodel project.  It's been an eye-opening experience...

I don't know if anyone really likes these progress posts, but here goes!

Here's the kitchen "before" shot:



and this is the inspiration shot:



VIA HOUZZ
I began by painting the lower cabinet doors/drawers with Benjamin Moore Fresh Start primer and then top coating with Simply White in BM Aura paint.  I do not like Aura paint...  It dries way too fast, even with the extender added to the paint.  It was difficult to get a nice top coat until I mastered the technique of applying this stuff, which consists of using a small foam roller, a painter's paint brush and minute amounts of the paint at a time to keep the paint in the tray from drying out and turning to pudding.  Can you say pain-in-the-butt??



I scrubbed the cabinets with TSP and then sanded them lightly with a medium grit sanding sponge.  It was tedious work, 1 coat of primer and 3 coats of paint.  UGH.  I decided to do sections at a time instead of the whole shebang. It was a good way to get through this long project!

I  had a heck of a time getting the countertops off the lower cabinets. My ex-boyfriend had cemented those suckers on with PL construction glue.  I was afraid that I would have to replace the bases, but after a couple of weekends working at it, I managed to pop the countertops off the build-up and then chip the build-up off separately.


Then I pulled the cabinets apart and reconfigured them so I could move the fridge away from where I wanted a pass-through opening.  That's when I discovered the missing flooring...  I thought it would be a nightmare but it actually worked out well.  I had one piece of flooring that I had found in the crawlspace.  I sanded it to see what the floors would look like if I just sanded and oiled them and I loved the look!!  I installed that piece right away.  Then I went searching through my wood pile for 1" thick boards and luckily I found some!!  I cut one short board down so that I would have enough to do one length and I left one board intact.  Once I laid them, I rubbed some Minwax Provincial stain over the top (very lightly!) and when it dried I drew a line down the wide board using a Sharpie.  Check it out:



I'm going to use a utility knife to cut a groove where the Sharpie line is but so far I'm happy with the way this turned out.  Here is the new cabinet configuration (sort of).  They still need adjusting slightly and I can't decide whether to leave the fridge there or swap it out with the stove.


If I leave it like this, I can still use my little kitchen cart as an island.  But onto the next project which was carving a hole in the wall where the fridge used to be so that I could let in light from the window I installed over my laundry sink.


Max ALWAYS has to get into the act.

TAH DAAAAAAAAAAAH!  Look Ma, no lights!


I can use my kitchen without turning a light on!!!!!!!!!!  Squeeee!!!  I can't tell you how pleased I am.  The drywall mess beside the pass through will be covered over by an upper cabinet.

I still have a long road ahead of me, but so far so good!  Between the pass-through and the white cabinets, the space is so much brighter.  Hopefully the new counters and stripped down floors will lighten it even more.

INSPIRATION KITCHEN:

MY KITCHEN:


So far so good!!!

Stay tuned for Part III, the finished product!


Cheers!


With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!

Remodeling and Home Design

Follow on Bloglovin

30 comments:

  1. I love progress posts, and I've been wondering how your kitchen remodel has been coming along. I love what you've done so far. Your kitchen looks bigger, and the work space looks way more efficient. I could relate to the effort of painting your kitchen cabinets. I've done mine twice now over 25 years because the bids I got were for $3000 - $6000. After you do it yourself, you understand those bids are fair because it's such a huge job. I swore after the first time I'd never do it myself again, but it's kind of like giving birth; you forget the pain and go and do it again! :) I feel badly for you about the Aura paint, but I sure do appreciate you passing on your experience with it. (I used BM oil based enamel with good results, but of course clean up was always a pain and dry time was long.) For what it's worth, I don't like having to walk across the floor from sink to stove, and I always wished I could fit mine in an L configuration. I would love to be able to chop veggies next to the sink for easy rinsing and and then pop them into the fry pan right next to me on the stove. I think it would save a lot of steps and spilling stuff on the floor. So I would switch out the fridge and stove. I also think it would make your kitchen look even larger from the angle your photos were taken. (Would that entail some electrical work, too, though? And maybe even some plumbing if you have an ice maker.) I think the way you are repairing your floor is inspired. I'm so excited for you, and I'm excited to see your progress posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! That was a long comment! Sorry 'bout that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great progress, Anne. I like seeing the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your progress reports......you are one brave gal!!! I envy your energy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Dee! I'm so glad folks like to see them!!

      Delete
  6. I love seeing progress posts because they give me a real sense of how the project started and how it came together. You space is lovely and I love what you've done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are one heck of a woman diyer Anne! I love your progress reports!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing already...I am in luv with white kitchens.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too love progress posts, the more the better! And may I just say as well that you are one amazing woman!! I love what you have done, LOVE it, and I also stand in awe of your cabinets. I tried painting my cabinets white and while they look good from a distance, they don't look that great up close. It's so hard to get the paint on without leaving brush strokes, drips, ridges, etc. Amazing work, and so worth it, it looks just wonderful. And SO LIGHT!!! YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sara Marie! It IS hard to avoid drips and ridges, which is why this job goes so slowly... and you need a slow drying paint too!! lol

      Thanks for visiting xox

      Delete
  10. You have been busy. You get so much done, maybe it's because you have furry helpers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another fantastic transformation, you have been so busy! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a weird question ... since you quickly decided that you hated working with the Aura paint, why did you continue to use is? Just wondering.

    I love what you have showed so far. Progress shots make the big reveal of the finished project all that much sweeter. (love how Max is acting as your building inspector.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking real good Anne...can't wait to see more!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd be so disappointed if you didn't post progress reports, Anne. I've been waiting to see this. :) You've already made a big improvement in your kitchen. I think it's so amazing how your inspiration photo works so well with your existing kitchen. Right down to the pass through window. You certainly were right about its adding light to your kitchen. The space looks so much brighter now. Very smart idea you had for the floor. It'll be so much fun to see your next kitchen post. XX ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the white on the cabinets, and I really like that your new layout is so similar to the inspiration! Will it be expensive to relocate the stove and refrigerator or are the plugs compatible?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kudos on a crisp, clean and dreamy kitchen, so far.Very cozy, too!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  17. We painted our kitchen cabinets a few years back so I can appreciate all the work you have done here. The paint chips off easily if it is not done properly. The white cabinets certainly make the space seem bigger and more cohesive. Great job as always Anne! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your progress photos. What a difference natural light makes to the room. I'm so glad you persevered with the project as the result so far just shows that it was worth the blood, sweat and, dear I say it, tears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma! I am so thrilled with the way it's all coming together!

      Delete
  19. Oh, my, Anne! This is amazing! I remember when you found the inspiration picture and what you've done is so close to the "vibe" in this picture. The white cabinets make a lot of difference, but I bet seeing the light of day must be the best part of your transformation: like night and day? Sorry, couldn't help it? I'm also sorry to be so late to congratulate you on that huge job you did... I'm hoping to be back to my usual blog reading schedule next week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You know Anne, you're so freaking talented, it's sickening LOL - I see what you've done and yet I can't believe my eyes !
    It's beautiful - absolutely beautiful!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  21. I sure wish I'd had someone as handy and knowledgeable around as you this past weekend on my apartment kitchen! Your'e good!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow..what a great idea to put that pass through/window in...you are a genius...and so glad that Max is there to lend you a hand....you are certainly getting close to that inspiration kitchen...can't wait to see more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Anne,
    I love to see your progress. It is totally amazing what you have done. You rock girl. I keep telling you this. I see an HGTV show in your future. Looking so great.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...