Kitchen Overhaul Part III - Still Plugging Away...

My kitchen remodel project took on a new life when I installed the butcher block countertops. Love is too weak a word for how I feel about them!

When I left you in Part 2, I had just ripped a hole in the wall to create a passthrough that would allow more daylight into the room from the adjoining laundry.  It's been so nice to use the kitchen without turning the lights on all the time.  The project got bumped up a month when a friend offered to pick up the butcher block from Ikea for me (a 10 hour round trip).  I left the counters in the spare room for a few weeks to acclimate to the house and then got to work cutting them down to size for the new layout.  In the meantime, I continued to work on removing the old countertops.  Max decided to get into the act by chewing through the exposed dishwasher hoses.  GAAHHH!  Bloody cat!


I picked up one more base cabinet and trimmed it out for the dead space in the corner.  An idea came to me out of the blue and I'm happy to say it is working out beautifully.

Here's a sneak peek at the custom cabinet I'm working on for the blind corner.

Once the counters were cut and placed (allowing a 3/16 expansion gap all along the wall) I began to fasten them down from underneath.  That was not fun!!!



 I researched butcher block finishes, and researched again and again finally deciding to stick to the old fashioned approach of using only mineral oil to coat the wood.  I didn't like the warnings on all the other products, flammable - wash up with mineral spirits - wear gas mask (not really).

I picked up some food grade thick mineral oil from a drugstore and dumped it on.  The point is to saturate the wood with the oil until it won't absorb any more.  The steps are to coat with mineral oil several times on the first day and leave each application to soak in.  Then you wipe the excess off.  Do another coat every day for the first week.  Then one coat a week for the next 3 weeks and then once a month forever more. Mineral oil is cheap and not harmful to the environment.

During my research, I discovered that vinegar is very harmful to the glue that holds the butcher block wood pieces together.  A better cleaner/disinfectant is lemon juice and table salt.

This is how it works:  Sprinkle the salt on the counter, slice a lemon in half and rub the lemon over the salt.  Let the mixture sit for an hour and clean it off with a damp sponge.  It takes away odors and stains too!  You can also clean it with just plain soap and water (on a well wrung out sponge).

Next up was trimming the spaces left from the reconfiguration of my non-custom cabinets.  That wasn't fun either but after I got the backing pieces in place (shooting myself in the finger with my nail gun in the process), it was easy to add the spacers.  I installed the baseboards and kickplates as well.


Next is repainting the kitchen, the rest of the cabinets and adding those special touches that will knock this kitchen design out of the park!


Thanks for following along - have a great week!

If you want to see the other installments of Kitchen Overhaul 2014, click HERE


With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!

Remodeling and Home Design

Follow on Bloglovin
Sharing with:
Metamorphosis Monday
Show & Tell Friday

28 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you! I love your new counters, and I'm so impressed you installed them yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good!!! You are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl you are GOOD!! Can't wait to see it all complete!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could do stuff like that on my own!! Looks great ~ can't wait to see the grand finale. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a fearless DIY-er by taking on big renovation projects. Your kitchen is getting close to becoming your dream space and I know it's going to look fantastic when it's all done. Love the countertops!
    Sorry about the mishap with the nail gun. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great, Anne. I use mineral oil on all the wooden cutting boards, trays, etc. that I make.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your kitchen is coming together nicely. Love everything you've done so far. That butcher block is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne, I love what you've done so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is looking amazing Anne!! Great idea to install the butcher blocks, although all that prep work with the mineral oil sounds a bit tedious. I'm sure they're going to age beautifully for you though, and since you love wood you'll probably enjoy the process of keeping them in top shape. Can't wait for next installment! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking good Anne! I love butcher-block counter tops... those and concrete would be my two to choose from.

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  11. The new HGTV show... Kitchen Overhaul With Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love how it's coming together Anne! I am in the middle of remodeling mine and I know how much work it is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dang girl, you are a worked bee! Going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope your finger is okay and healing!!! But oh, how worth because your kitchen is looking downright awesome, Anne. Butcher block is quintessential to a real cottage kitchen, what a perfect choice. I think our ancestors did plenty of trial and error to figure out that mineral oil is probably what works best, no matter the century, Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are amazing...your hard work is paying off big!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, Miss Smarty Pants, you are an awesome DIY'er. Love the countertops, and can see how this is shaping up to be one beautiful kitchen. Do you even sleep at night? I bet you're so excited about what you're doing that you just lie in bed waiting for morning to come so you can get back at it. Or maybe you're just so dead tired after working your fanny off that sleep is no problem. Probably the later. I love seeing your dreams come to fruition. Hugs ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I someone's comment about you and a TV show. You certainly could do a tv show with your DIY skills.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everything was sounding awesome till the part about shooting yourself in the finger with the nail gun. OUCH!

    You are seriously the most awesome DIY chick out there :-) Your kitchen is going to look fabulous when it's all done! Go Girl Power!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, I was happy that I was able to hang a couple of doors, you are a serious DIYer, I'm so impressed with your skills and the kitchen is looking great. I checked out the house tour too and love your pretty cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  20. There is nothing you won't tackle! You're a fearless decorating DIYer Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  21. beautiful work, anne! kitchen re-dos are very hard work. i didn't know about the lemon and salt cleaner--tfs:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bloody Cat - you sound just like John LMHO !!!
    What a beautiful job you've done - I'd say you've already knocked it out of the park - but can't wait to see it completely finished !
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your kitchen is coming along gloriously, Anne! I loved all the tips you shared about butcher block ~ I had no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anne....what can I say. It's absolutely delightful! It's always so great to visit you and see your remodelling. You are an inspiration. Joan

    ReplyDelete
  25. As you can see, I'm still catching up. Your counters are beautiful Anne and I'm not surprised! You always know just what to do!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...